[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Jul 15 01:47:17 UTC 2009

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> writes:

>John Hasler wrote:
>[]
>> The Chrony source is available under the GPL.  I'm sure someone would
>> be willing to port it for you for suitable compensation.

>If I were paying my money, I would rather it went towards improving the
>official NTP, to be honest.

That is fine, but there are decisions which were and are made re ntp
which no amount of money will change-- decisions which severely limit
the accuracy of ntp. For example, Lichvar in running tests with chrony
and a gps refclock vs ntp found chrony to be about 20 times more
accurate than ntp with a poll level of 4. I am dubious but I would
certainly believe 3 times more accurate ( that was what I got in my
tests). And ntp takes forever to converge if its rate is out for
whatever reason. These are design decision which will not change, for
better or for worse,  as long as Mills is in control.

There is not terribly much that can at present be done to improve ntp so
it would be hard to find ways of spending the money. While with chrony,
you would have a totally new time keeping program for Windows at the end
of the day, a program with a very different philosophy and technique for
controlling the clock.