[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest

Andy Helten andy.helten at dot21rts.com
Thu Jul 16 15:10:20 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> So, basically, as long as you act irresponsibly with respect to use of
> energy and other resources, you will have no problem.
>
> Powering down is often the optimum way of minimising energy usage and
> maximising the time till land fill.
>
> To avoid temperature transients entirely, you would need top end air
> condiitioning and you would have to disable power management in the
> hardware, and generate make work for both the CPU and things like disk
> seek mechanisms, to ensure that temperatures were constant and even.

Please cite the research showing that frequently turning machines off
will somehow make them last longer.  Sounds like urban myth but I would
love to see some literature on the subject because, in fact, I've also
heard the exact opposite.  Please spare me the anecdotal evidence, I
have plenty of that myself.

Also, tossing old machines in a land fill is highly irresponsible.
There are numerous organizations that take old machines and either use
them or recycle them.  Don't throw them in the land fill, please.