[ntp:questions] Testing Sync Across Several Systems

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 20 13:37:57 UTC 2009

T wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> We have about 50 Linux/Solaris/Windows boxes running ntpd at several
> different sites. Some of the systems from time to time go out of sync.
> My question is there a way to test ntpd machines are all in sync with
> the master
> server?
>
> I was thinking of using ssh to get on to each machine to do a date and
> then go back to the master and do a date and compare, but this seems
> problematic at best. What do people do to check that all machines are
> in sync?
>
> Thanks in Advanced for any help.
>
>    Tom

ntpq is a good start.  There is at least one other command that can
reveal interesting/useful information but I can't retrieve it from my
fading memory at the moment.

Those systems should NOT be going out of sync!!!!!  That they are doing
so says that something is VERY WRONG somewhere.

Does the problem manifest under all three operating systems??  Do all
the machines involved run 24x7?  Is the network available 24x7?  What
are you using for a "master server"?  Where does the "master server "
get time????