[ntp:questions] Testing Sync Across Several Systems

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jul 20 21:05:28 UTC 2009

Jan Ceuleers wrote:
ce the box1thru50.domain.tld with the DNS names of your 50 boxes. If
they're not in DNS, and you know their static IP addresses you can
specify those instead.

> The .INIT. means that your monitoring host has not received any NTP packets from these machines at all yet. Two things to check:
>
> - wait a while (order of magnitude: 15 minutes) and see if it changes;
>
> - make sure that the firewall settings on those boxes allow inbound and outbound UDP traffic on port 123.

Also make sure they are running NTPV4.  Otherwise you will need to
specify the version.  (NTPV4 servers will accept NTPV3 requests, but not
v.v.)

I also noted that there was a poor choice of servers, i.e. a lot of well
known, overloaded, stratum one servers, when it probably needs lightly
loaded, local stratum 2 servers.