[ntp:questions] NTP Performance on WINNT

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jul 21 05:55:51 UTC 2009

paul wrote:
[]
> 10 Windows boxes with offset no greater than 5 ms from abs time is
> fair enough for me. I will try a local stratum-1 NTP server.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Paul,

Just for interest, the ntpd.conf for my PC Narvik contains lines like:

_______________________________________
server 192.168.0.2  iburst maxpoll 6  prefer
server 192.168.0.7  maxpoll 6

server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org minpoll 10
server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org minpoll 10
server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org minpoll 10
server 1.europe.pool.ntp.org minpoll 10
_______________________________________

The first two are my local stratum-1 servers (GPS/PPS to Windows XP
systems, ideally with a light or relatively constant load), and are set
for 64s polling (maxpoll 6).  To avoid hitting the Internet servers with
requests as often, they are set for minpoll 10 (1024s), as they are for
backup in the case that both my stratum-1 servers fail.

A direct connection from the serial GPS/PPS puck is the best, but even if
you need to go through a serial-USB convertor performance may be adequate
(I saw about 160us jitter).

Cheers,
David