[ntp:questions] Local (own site) NTP servers.

tglassey tglassey at glassey.com
Thu Jul 23 15:04:22 UTC 2009

G8KBV wrote:
> Wonder if this will get posed, or returned to me..
>
> Hi...
>
> Been lurking for a while.
>
> Also, been messing about trying to get a local (to me) GPS
> Disciplined NTP server working, based on David Taylor's work
> with FreeBSD,
Yes this is a good place to start.
> I think I have one of those configured OK, but
> I've got other issues with FreeBSD on that machine that sort
> of prevent me using it for unattended "appliance" use.  It
> keeps generating system emails for the Root user, and I can't
> find out why!  Other than its something about recovered editor
> files?

There is a process called virecover which starts from boot - you can
disable it. Look in /etc/rc.d/virecover. In fact /etc/rc.d is the
directory with many of the start/stop rc (*scripts) files. But you could
have found this by simply typing a google search for "stopping
virecover" for what its worth.
> So...  I'm about to try a couple of Windows "solutions"
> (opportunities)  One the "Tardis" program, that would appear
> to be able to take PPS based GPS signals, and act as a server.

Its not NTP - but rather SNTP as I recall. What are you trying to
accomplish? using a non-evidentiary grade of time services or putting
together provable time services for your system?
> Have to say, if it works, that would be a good solution for
> some other interested parties (near zero config!)
Except the reason for setting the time data on the system is so that the
log files can be properly compared to the real world and that the
time-sensitve crypto features of Kerberos and other tools work