[ntp:questions] Local (own site) NTP servers.

Dave Baxter g8kbv at nospam.uko2.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 11:32:23 UTC 2009

In article <8emdnWFCTPDz_fTXnZ2dnUVZ_qOdnZ2d at megapath.net>, hal-
usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net says...

> >So...  I'm about to try a couple of Windows "solutions"
> >(opportunities)  One the "Tardis" program, that would appear
> >to be able to take PPS based GPS signals, and act as a server.
>
> Tardis?
>
> Please see:
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_server_misuse_and_abuse
>
> In particular, I'd call Dave Plonka's writeup at
>   http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/
> required reading for anybody thinking about writing networking
> software.

Yes, I'm well aware of that.  Tardis I do know has been fixed in that
respect, and would not be enabled (in my case) to ask existing servers
the time, only to synch to GPS and provide it to the LAN.

The Netgear router issue too was solved a long time ago, but I bet there
are still hundreds of affected routers still being used.

Best Regards.

Dave B
G0WBX.