[ntp:questions] Local (own site) NTP servers.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sat Jul 25 10:27:58 UTC 2009

G8KBV wrote:

> To get Faros (HF Beacon monitoring program, runs on Windows,

It looks to me as though that application requires timing to better than
about 10ms, and probably won't benefit much more below about 2.5ms.  I'm
assuming that they are trying to treat the morse code station ident as
though it were a code division multiplexing spreading code.  The ident
is at 22wpm.  12 wpm uses 100 ms basic units, so 22 uses approximately
50ms units.  One wants significantly better timing than that.

I note that Faros requires special access to the sound hardware -
presumably it only works with real sound cards, not USB ones.  It seems
to me that you could use any stereo sound card, with very loose
scheduling requirements if you fed a PPS signal into the opposite
channel from that used for the off air signal, and used that as a timing
reference for the off air signal, and to calibrate the sound card
sampling clock.  As it looks like it is closed source, it would have to
be done by the vendor, or it would have to be re-implemented.

 > http://bifferos.bizhat.com/

Since when has Intel architecture been reduced instruction set.  Looks
like someone's marketing department has completely devalued RISC!