[ntp:questions] Solaris 8 xntpd vs ntpd?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jul 27 20:51:38 UTC 2009

Lockon wrote:
> Hi, I would appreciate if someone could tell me the reason to use the
> freeware ntpd rather than xntpd that is built into Solaris 8.  I have
> searched but I can find no compelling argument.

xntpd in Solaris is an older version of the freeware ntpd.

I'm not sure about this case, but, whilst strictly speaking, xntpd
refers to the obsolete, version 3, of the freeware ntpd, some vendors,
possibly Sun, thought they would confuse people less by keeping the old
name.  In reality it causes great confusion.

The reason for using a current version, rather the old, or very old
snapshot, is basically less bugs and better algorithms.