[ntp:questions] Solaris 8 xntpd vs ntpd?

Chuck Young see.why at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 27 21:29:43 UTC 2009

I've replied directly as well as to list since I'm unclear if my posts are
still moderated.

I just did some work to tighten up our ntp on solaris, using xntpd, ntpq and
other native solaris tools.  I'll be happy to provide it if you're curious.

On Monday 27 July 2009 15:22, Lockon wrote:
> Hi, I would appreciate if someone could tell me the reason to use the
> freeware ntpd rather than xntpd that is built into Solaris 8.  I have
> searched but I can find no compelling argument.

The basic argument is that the solaris stuff, as with most things solaris, is
old and subpar, which sentiment I agree with.

I detailed some solaris 9 ntp troubles here.  I was told "this is a mess,
build from source", although the single reply I got didn't indicate that much
diligence had been done as far as reviewing my own carefully documented
troubles.  And of course, this "mess" is how every base solaris install has
been for at least a dozen years (I can vouch for solaris 7 through 10).
Which is to say, it's built this way on an installed base probably numbering
over a million.

So, sure, use the source.  If you're a hobbyist or in academe that's easy
enough.  The flip side is that if you are dealing with a large, extremely
understaffed enterprise with many heterogeneous hosts as I am, it's
problematic to start doing source builds, break package management, etc.
Best practice in that case, if you really wanted to do it, would be to build
on a dev box (do you have one for each architecture and OS version?), create
a full package, and deploy.  Compiling on Solaris is itself always an
adventure... enjoy.

cy