[ntp:questions] NTP as HA-cluster service

James james.purl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:54:20 UTC 2009

I have NTP setup as a heartbeat service in a two-node cluster.  If I
was to offer this service to the public pool, would there be an issue
with hosts using it when the service failed over to the other node?  I
ask because currently I don't have a DRBD or network filesystem for
NTP, I have it configured identically on each node and the service
just runs on one of the nodes at at time (with a virtual IP). The node
that isn't the server just ntpdate's itself against the virtual IP
every so often.

If it would be better, I could setup the configuration and /var/lib on
a DRBD share so it followed the service, but would prefer not to if
there is no benefit.