[ntp:questions] .1 Microsecond Synchronization

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 4 16:57:37 UTC 2009

ScottyG <scottg at pepex.net> writes:

>Hello.

>The company I am working for needs to be able to record timestamps in a trading
>system logs down to a .1 microsecond accuracy.

I think you misheard. .1 microsecond accuracy is impossible on a compter. Those servers
cannot log to that accuracy. The trading system logs cannot be written on that kind of time
frame.

>We will have servers located in London, New York and Chicago. There will be a
>dedicated resilient link between London and New York.

>Searches on the web have made claims that NTP can achieve this accuracy.
>Unfortunately the sales rep for the NTP server we looked at told me that the best I
>could expect is 2-5 ms synchronization across servers.

By equiping each with a GPS receiver, you can get down to about 10 microseconds.

>Has anyone had any experience doing this? Can anyone suggest how to achieve
>this accuracy?

Sorry, but the specification is idiocy.

>We do have some budget but this but if I need to spend a whole lot on this I need
>to get in front of my management with the reasons.

Maybe if you are willing to throw 10 million at it, you MIGHT be able to get there.