[ntp:questions] .1 Microsecond Synchronization

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Jun 4 21:26:18 UTC 2009

Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> John Hasler <john at dhh.gt.org> writes:
> >I suspect that what is really wanted is to log the trades in the
> >order they were received, with those that arrive within the same
> >100ns interval being accepted as simultaneous.

> How does a trade "arrive within the same 100ns interval" Even on a
> GB network that is only 10 characters, and I suspect trades are
> longer than 10 characters.

I don't know that it would pack them within a 100ns interval, but
interupt coalescing in GbE and higher NICs can cause frames which were
otherwise spread-out on the network to appear to the host to arrive at
essentially the same instant.  Their separation in the eyes of the
host will depend on the speed at which the host processes them after
being nudged by the NIC.

rick jones