[ntp:questions] .1 Microsecond Synchronization

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Fri Jun 5 00:27:30 UTC 2009

John Hasler <john at dhh.gt.org> writes:

>Bill Unruh writes:
>> How does a trade "arrive within the same 100ns interval" Even on a GB
>> network that is only 10 characters, and I suspect trades are longer than
>> 10 characters.

>The first byte of the packet containing trade A arrives within 100ns of the
>first byte of the packet containing trade B (using custom software and
>hardware all the way down to the wire protocol, of course).

But you have no idea that this packet is a trade packet. And why would
it be the first packet that counts. Surely a trade has not been made
until the full details of the trade are received. Why not use the time when
the remote computer is switched on, since it will eventually send a
trade order? Ie, this whole thing is plain silliness.