[ntp:questions] .1 Microsecond Synchronization

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 5 02:31:47 UTC 2009

John Hasler wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert writes:
>> Processed fewer transactions and processed them more slowly [in
>> pre-computer days]!
>
> I wrote:
>> Trades could still arrive at the processing facility "simultaneously".
>
> Richard B. Gilbert writes:
>> If there is only one processor, "simultaneous" trades may still have to
>> be processed sequentially.  I suspect that there is little or no time to
>> argue which of two "simultaneous" trades occurred first.
>
> In other words, when two couriers slapped their messages down on the
> counter simultaneously the clerk would arbitrarily choose which to process
> first.
>
> Is there any record of how such things were handled?

The NYSE might have a "historian" on tap!

The answers might vary depending on whether we are talking about stock
markets, bond markets, commodity trading, etc, etc.  It may also vary
depending on the rules of the exchange; the NYSE, American Stock
Exchange, Philadelphia Stock Exchange, etc, may have or may have had
different rules or many different rules at many different times.