[ntp:questions] .1 Microsecond Synchronization

Rob nomail at example.com
Fri Jun 5 16:52:46 UTC 2009

Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>
>>Harlan Stenn wrote:
>>> The time on my cellphone is routinely more than 3 seconds off of GPS time.
>
>>Is your cell phone "CDMA"?   Other technologies, there are several, may
>>not require the precise timing that CDMA does!
>
> It will be hard for them to get CDMA in London, or Paris, or in fact anywhere in the world except
> N America.

It has always amazed me that in an all-digital system like GSM there is
no standard way to communicate wallclock time from the network to the
handhelds.  Even a once-per-hour time transmission that would sync the
freerunning clock in the phone would be fine for most users.

It seems there is some nonstandard stuff going around, e.g. my Nokia phone
can be configured to receive time from the network but it does not work.
Probably requires Nokia base stations.