[ntp:questions] Nontrivial time adjustments

Todd Glassey CISM CIFI tglassey at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 5 15:07:22 UTC 2009

Алексей Иванов wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a question inspired by a problem on my work.
> I work at a regional Russian broadcasting company. We broadcast in our
> region by replacing several state programmes with regional ones. All
> the rest time we just relay signal to retransmitters. Such manner of
> work means that we must time moments of interruption well. But we have
> a problem: signal that we have to deal with passes through several
> go-betweens where signal is being retransmitted/encoded/decoded. So we
> recieve signal delayed by 2 seconds. This delay is fixed and newer
> changes. While operating on signal we have to deal with this signal's
> own virtual delayed time and so all computers and wall clocks (which
> are in fact computers too) have to be always synchronized with the
> same virtual time.
> This is where we face unresolved trouble: I have read man pages but
> haven't understood if it is possible to make ntpd take into account
> this delay. So that clients could synchronize with 2 sec time shift.
> Is it possible to resolve our problem?
As the ex-streaming media manager for Stanford's radio station I can
comment first hand on exactly this. We regularly streamed academic
content which also varied from the rest of our operations and my
solution was a 5 second buffer which allowed us to compress or expand
the media we had control over to fit properly into those segments. The
biggest issue was live content from remote sites which would take
precedence in the larger issue.

If you want to take this offline then contact me directly

Todd Glassey