[ntp:questions] .1 Microsecond Synchronization

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 6 01:09:00 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>>> The time on my cellphone is routinely more than 3 seconds off of GPS time.
>
>> Is your cell phone "CDMA"?   Other technologies, there are several, may
>> not require the precise timing that CDMA does!
>
> It will be hard for them to get CDMA in London, or Paris, or in fact anywhere in the world except
> N America.

Being a citizen of, and resident in, the U.S.A. I tend to supply answers
  relevant to the U.S.A.  AFAIK, Harlan is also a citizen and resident.

As I mentioned, there ARE other technologies. Technologies ofter than
CDMA are used both here and abroad.  Verizon Wireless is one of the
largest service providers here and they use CDMA.

So far, my CDMA phones have been able to make and receive calls
everywhere I've been since I bought my first digital phone.

FWIW, I believe that Japan and Korea also use CDMA.