[ntp:questions] ntpd on dial up machine: no DNS resolving => giving up on all servers

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Sat Jun 6 21:33:44 UTC 2009

Hello,

i am using ntpd (4.2.4p6+dfsg-1; debian/sid) on a PC with dial up
connection. The PC is not online at boot time, but is turned online manually
when required via pppd.

ntpd is started at boot time and automatically can handle interfaces that
are brought up or down while ntpd is running since 4.2.4p0+dfsg-1. But the
problem is, that ntpd cannot resolve the ntp-server names at startup
(because the PC is offline) and gives up on them. When the ppp interface is
brough up, ntpd does recognize this, but does not retry to resolve the
servers.

I cannot find a configuration option to change this. Is there something I
can do to make ntpd look up the servers again when the PC is going online?

An alternative was to (re)start ntpd on ip-up instead of starting it at boot
time. The problem with this is that (if I am not wrong) ntpd does a big time
step instead of just little time adjustments once. This can make the mail
server dovecot stop if time is set back by too many seconds. So is there an
option to forbid ntpd such a big time step at startup?

Thanks,
Arno