[ntp:questions] ntpd on dial up machine: no DNS resolving => giving up on all servers

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Sun Jun 7 09:29:32 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> If you need to SET the time, do it before starting anything else.

Yes, ok. But in my configuration this is a problem.

> Also, keep in mind that NTPD can need many hours to set both phase
> (time) and frequency accurately!  It works best if you run it 24x365.
> Once set, NTPD should maintain the correct time.  Some sites, for one
> reason or another, cannot run 24x365.  If this is the case with your
> site you should investigate tools other than NTP.

Ok. I have found the tool "chrony", which seems to be a good solution, as
long as the PC-clock is not jumping around (perhaps because of an empty
BIOS-battery, etc.) but always is running wrong for the same amount of time.
This tool learns about the usual speed of the clock and corrects it, even if
the PC is offline. So I hope not to have big time differences anymore, so
that the time can be corrected in small adjustments always.

Thanks,
Arno