[ntp:questions] ntpd on dial up machine: no DNS resolving => giving up on all servers

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sun Jun 7 09:38:23 UTC 2009

Arno Wald wrote:

> Ok. I have found the tool "chrony", which seems to be a good solution, as
> long as the PC-clock is not jumping around (perhaps because of an empty
> BIOS-battery, etc.) but always is running wrong for the same amount of time.
> This tool learns about the usual speed of the clock and corrects it, even if
> the PC is offline. So I hope not to have big time differences anymore, so

So does ntpd.  I think chrony may also monitor the time of year clock to
allow it to correct for when the machine, rather than just the network
is down.

Note that ntpd only saves the clock frequency every hour, and I am
becoming quite sympathetic to the idea that chrony behaves better than
ntpd in real world conditions.