[ntp:questions] ntpd on dial up machine: no DNS resolving => giving up on all servers

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Jun 8 11:38:51 UTC 2009

On 2009-06-08, Arno Wald <arno.wald at netcologne.de> wrote:
> E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
>
>> Put a script into ip-up.d to restart ntp when the link comes up?
>
> This is one solution that I thought about. But ntpd does set the clock hard
> (in one big step if required) at startup. This is ok if it is done at boot
> time before other services are started, but in my case it would bring
> dovecot to stop if the time step is to big and backward.

This debate is just muddying the waters.

ntpd does the same thing whether or not the offset is "noticed" as the
result of a restart or an interface change.

If the offset is less than the step threshold a slew is intitated.

If the offset exceeds the step threshold the clock is stepped.

The default step threshold is 128 milliseconds.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>