[ntp:questions] ntpd not responding to IPv6 queries?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jun 9 06:53:16 UTC 2009

I have ntpd 4.2.4p6 running on a Windows 7 RC machine.

>From the command prompt, when I enter:  ping <pc-name>, ping works
correctly, but seems to be using an IPv6 address.  I guess this must be an
auto-assigned address, as I have no IPv6 network as such.  If I enter:
ntpq -c rv <pc-name>, I get the error message:

  ntpq: read: no such file or directory

This PC is primarily an IPv4 pc, and if I enter the command with the IPv4
numeric address:  ntpq -c rv 1.2.3.4, it works as expected.  If I add an
entry to etc/hosts  1.2.3.4 pc-name,  the ntpq -c rv <ip-name> works
correctly

I can't reproduce the problem on a Windows Vista PC running ntp 4.2.5p181.

So, with PCs having both IPv4 and IPv6 running, is there a difference
between ntp 4.2.4 and 4.2.5 which would explain such behaviour?

Thanks,
David