[ntp:questions] ntpd not responding to IPv6 queries?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Tue Jun 9 07:24:13 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> I have ntpd 4.2.4p6 running on a Windows 7 RC machine.
>
>  From the command prompt, when I enter:  ping <pc-name>, ping works
> correctly, but seems to be using an IPv6 address.  I guess this must be
> an auto-assigned address, as I have no IPv6 network as such.  If I
> enter: ntpq -c rv <pc-name>, I get the error message:
>
>  ntpq: read: no such file or directory
>
> This PC is primarily an IPv4 pc, and if I enter the command with the
> IPv4 numeric address:  ntpq -c rv 1.2.3.4, it works as expected.  If I
> add an entry to etc/hosts  1.2.3.4 pc-name,  the ntpq -c rv <ip-name>
> works correctly
>
> I can't reproduce the problem on a Windows Vista PC running ntp 4.2.5p181.
>
> So, with PCs having both IPv4 and IPv6 running, is there a difference
> between ntp 4.2.4 and 4.2.5 which would explain such behaviour?

Don't know too much on windows but on NetBSD I only have ipv6 routing
from one pc but find various services fail if the destination has an
ipv6 address. All of these services have a "-4" option which prevents
attempting the ipv6 connection first. I only have a problem with one
particulatr remote ntp server which uses ipv6 ok when accessed from
ipv6 capable pc, but requires "server -4 hostname" to work on other
pcs on the lan.

David