[ntp:questions] ntpd on dial up machine: no DNS resolving => giving up on all servers

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Jun 10 12:01:41 UTC 2009

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> Arno Wald wrote:
>  > BlackLists wrote:
>  >> Put a script into ip-up.d to restart ntp when the link
>  >  comes up?
>  >
>  > This is one solution that I thought about.
>
>  slewalways yes ?

skewalways is, I seem to remember, really setting the step threshold to
10 minutes.  As I've said at least twice before, doing this forces a
degraded mode of operation, on modern *n[iu]x systems in which the
effect clock frequency is switched between zero correction and 500ppm
correction on a 1 second cycle (I think it is one second for V4, it was
4 seconds for V3), rather than being fine tuned on every clock tick.

Whilst this mode will continue to correct whilst ntpd is running without
servers, it will not continue when it is stopped, so ntpd restarts will
result in the clock running uncorrected until the restart is complete.

Turning off stepping completely also triggers this mode.