[ntp:questions] NMEA ref.clock better than my ISP's timeserver?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sat Jun 13 16:36:57 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> David Lord wrote:
> []
>> I'm happy with very limited results so far so bringing the
>> PC back downstairs.
>
> Did you bring the puck downstairs as well, or use a cable?

Neither, I'll be without gps for a while. Servers are right at
back of house. There used to be a phone upstairs (1/4" jack) and
if that line is still there I might be able to pull a cable
through otherwise it's a messy job. I'll try gps from back, high
up off a north facing wall, and might get away with that.

> []
>> Over 17hrs (= 34 data points)
>> Offset:         Max     Avg     87%     50%
>> (us)             12     4.2       7       3
>
> Looks good!
>
>> These are stats for past 24hrs of servers getting time from
>> internet. There's been no problems with load or temperature
>> otherwise Max would have hit its 12ms cutoff for graphing.
>
> Next step?  Sync these PCs to your new stratum-1 clock as well as the
> Internet?

Yes that's the plan.

BTW and thanks, I used your mrtg page for setting up stats graphs.
Pity mrtg doesn't allow -ve values.

cheers

David