[ntp:questions] NMEA ref.clock better than my ISP's timeserver?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Sat Jun 13 17:31:04 UTC 2009

David Lord wrote:
[]
> Neither, I'll be without gps for a while. Servers are right at
> back of house. There used to be a phone upstairs (1/4" jack) and
> if that line is still there I might be able to pull a cable
> through otherwise it's a messy job. I'll try gps from back, high
> up off a north facing wall, and might get away with that.

Ok, I misunderstood that you had the GPS downstairs as well.

>> Next step?  Sync these PCs to your new stratum-1 clock as well as the
>> Internet?
>
> Yes that's the plan.
>
> BTW and thanks, I used your mrtg page for setting up stats graphs.
> Pity mrtg doesn't allow -ve values.
>

> cheers
>
> David

Glad you found the MRTG stuff of use.  You could probably use RRDtool to
better effect to handle the bipolar values.  There was a suggestion to
plot the positive and negative values separately, which I think you have
used, but personally I don't like the results for normal viewing:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp-p.html

although they can be useful in that they auto-scale and allow you to see
transients which would otherwise be off the normal graphs:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

Had some "interesting" rain and thunderstorms this afternoon, and rebooted
one PC, which is why there are some unusual transients showing.

Cheers,
David