[ntp:questions] ntpdate

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon Jun 15 20:31:15 UTC 2009

On Jun 15, 2009, at 8:59 AM, Todd Glassey CISM CIFI wrote:

>> You should be running ntpd as a daemon. That will keep the clock in
>> synch and you never have to touch it.
>
> Which creates an audit issue and security profile which always needs
> to be watched. NTPD is not the answer for everyone Danny.

Can you elaborate on this?  I see that ntpdate and ntpd can both be
made to do the same thing in my case, which is a non daemonized single
instance setting of time.

If I do not plan on making a daemon, and just running it once a hour
on schedule, as well as in a reboot of the machine after the
interfaces are up, what would my concerns be?

If I do decide to run ntpd as a daemon, what audit/secuirty issues
should I be looking into?

Thank you Todd.