[ntp:questions] Stratum 1 servers in pools?!?

Rich richwales at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 21:24:14 UTC 2009

I'm using ntpd 4.2.4p4 on several Ubuntu 9.04 ("Jaunty") servers.

Recently, I've been reconfiguring some of my servers to use the "pool"
DNS names (e.g., "server 0.us.pool.ntp.org").  I've noticed that I
sometimes end up associating with a stratum-1 server from a pool.  As
an experiment, I specified 0.de.pool.ntp.org (the German pool), and
one of my servers is currently syncing to zit-net2.uni-paderborn.de (a
stratum-1 server currently syncing to a DCF77 clock).  I've seen this
a couple of times with the US pool as well -- though I'm afraid it
didn't occur to me at the time to write down the stratum-1 servers
involved.

Since (as I understand) end-user clients should avoid dealing directly
with stratum-1 servers, I assume this probably isn't as it should be.
Is it, in fact, proper for a stratum-1 server to be registered as part
of a pool?  Where -- if anywhere -- should I report a stratum-1 server
found in a pool?  Should I consider doing something in my ntp.conf so
as to avoid bothering a server from a pool if it happens to be in
stratum 1?

Rich Wales
richw at richw.org, richwales at gmail.com