[ntp:questions] Syncing to nearby vs. faraway servers

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Tue Jun 16 04:13:33 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> The "Delay" values for some of the servers you have configured
> are large enough to suggest that they are poor choices!

Agreed.  Please note, though, that I didn't explicitly choose
these particular servers -- they came from pools.

This does suggest that even servers randomly picked from my own
country's pool (*.us.pool.ntp.org) might not be good choices.

When 4.2.6 comes out, will the "pool" command with the "preempt"
option do a better job of weeding out pool servers that are far
away, and thus possibly of doubtful reliability?

Rich Wales  /  richw at richw.org  /  richwales at gmail.com
Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Richwales
Facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/richwales