[ntp:questions] ntpdate

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Jun 16 19:03:38 UTC 2009

[snip... about audit trail and a bit of a debate ...]

On Jun 16, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Danny Mayer wrote:

> Not at all. We have SOX processes everywhere at work. None of them
> require accurate time since they are not needed. What is needed is a
> clear audit trail of what did what.
>
> Don't try to read into something that I didn't say.

Danny, thank you for your responses, all of you in this thread as
well.  I will do my best to reply to each.  Todd answered what I
needed to know about the comments that were made (Thanks).  In my
case, that level of auditing is not needed.

I am dealing with time stamps in logs, my clock only every drifts
backwards in time compared, I can potentially end up with large gaps,
making log auditing a bit troublesome.

I am only looking to solve that.  Though my original issue, it more
about why a kernel panic causes ntpdate to fail, which I believe I am
on track to discover a solution.