[ntp:questions] ntpdate

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Wed Jun 17 16:07:42 UTC 2009

Scott Haneda wrote:
> A few basic usage questions:
>
> 1) Running `ntpd -qgd` as a non root users returns nothing.  It
> appears to immediately exit.  Is this correct behavior, or should I
> get some warning message to change users?
>
> 2) `ntpdate -u` on the other hand, does warn me:
> 16 Jun 12:29:09 ntpdate[43457]: step-systime: Operation not permitted
>
> 3) I learned that my colocation provider was blocking port 123 to the
> time server I was using, in my case, time.apple.com.  What I do not
> understand, is why ntpdate -u was able to work, with those blocks in
> place, but ntpd -qg which from the man page, appears to be the
> suggested method to achieve the same result, did not work.  ntpdate
> also seems to be significantly faster at in comparing the two commands.
>
> I have port 123 open now, and things seem to be working command wise.
> I will shove the new command into my schedule, and see what happens
> the next time a panic appears.
>
> Thank you all.

ntpd tries to send it queries out from port 123/UDP and for some reason
people block queries like that at the firewall. I have proposed code
that will allow you to send out from a different port but it's not yet
implemented. This is the query-on configuration directive. I don't know
why any ISP will block that.

Danny

believed to be clean.