[ntp:questions] Can or should the NTP protocol eventually serve timezone data?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Jun 17 22:11:03 UTC 2009

John Hasler <john at dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> IMHO a standardized, automated and decentralized way of distributing
> changes to timezone files might be useful, though.  It just should
> not be part of NTP.

I'm not sure it is as automated and decentralized as you might want,
but there is a mechanism in place to update the "pci.ids" file mapping
all the vendor, product, subvendor subproduct IDs in PCI cards to
human readable text.

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/

which is I believe what the "update-pciids" command under Linux (and
perhaps other OSes) will query when run.

rick jones
There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.  - Joubert