[ntp:questions] Can or should the NTP protocol eventually serve timezone data?

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Thu Jun 18 13:23:38 UTC 2009

Rob wrote:
> Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>Timezone stuff is "Localisation" and handled forex by libc and/or
>>other programming frameworks.
>>
>>And the package manager for "managed" linux distributions ( same for the bsds )
>>usually present timely updates.
>

> So your standpoint is that every system builder who wants to do
> such localization should be on their own, providing their own update
> mechanism, and there should not be a universal update mechanism for
> timezone updates that is neutral to operating system?

( Hmm,
	You are arguing like our politicians.
	If you are against nonworking censorship of the internet you _must_
	be _for_ the mistreatment of children.
)

Localisation is not really  connected to distributing UTC.
localisation is handled in a number of frameworks. (at the lowest level
	and for unix(ies) libc.
These Frameworks are handled by updatemechanism of your OS/Software Environment.
bsd, rpm or debian updaters ( and they work in a timely fashion if you actually
use the update services, in all my computing years I have not seen any issues
with DST changes ).

Bypassing these things is the next best path to the dll-hell like issues
Microsoft has. where everyone and his grandma think that they have a right
to update random system files.

uwe