[ntp:questions] Can or should the NTP protocol eventually serve timezone data?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 13:38:49 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
> []
>>> Only for one country out of hundreds.
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> Only ONE is important to me these days!
>
> I cannot take that view, Richard, as I write software which is used in
> dozens of countries and time zones.  My software works purely in UTC,
> and allows the OS to handle time presentation, with or without time-zone
> information.  A single country solution would be completely unacceptable.
>
> David

My computers: PC-W/XT, PC/Linux, Sun SPARC/Solaris, and DEC Alpha/VMS
all keep UTC and display local time.  The installation/setup procedures
for the few O/Ss I'm familiar with all make provision for setting both
the time and the time zone.  A few of them even make provision for users
in multiple time zones with a "TZ" environment variable.

Windows is even fairly good at keeping track of the perpetual tinkering
that legislatures are prone to.