[ntp:questions] Can or should the NTP protocol eventually serve timezone data?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Thu Jun 18 21:09:04 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> A similar format but sent as XML could be better.  But it would of course
>> be several times bigger.
>
> Generally one only uses XML if one wants a bloated file or to be
> fashionable.  What's wrong with the current Olson source format?

I'm not sure I understand why this is still being discussed here. This
has nothing to do with NTP and distribution of the data wouldn't even
fit into a UDP packet which is all that NTP supports. In any case you
would need to change the protocol for NTP to do this and I would
strongly oppose such a protocol change since there are other and better
distribution mechanisms. It's easy to write a cron job to fetch the data
from the ftp site and place it wherever it's needed.

Can we now get back to NTP?

Danny

believed to be clean.