[ntp:questions] Can or should the NTP protocol eventually serve timezone data?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 19 02:40:24 UTC 2009

Hal Murray wrote:
> In article <slrnh3k09c.1s1j.nomail at xs7.xs4all.nl>,
>  Rob <nomail at example.com> writes:
>
>> So your standpoint is that every system builder who wants to do
>> such localization should be on their own, providing their own update
>> mechanism, and there should not be a universal update mechanism for
>> timezone updates that is neutral to operating system?
>
> Why have a special update mechanism for time zone data?  Why
> not piggy back on updating everything else?  Isn't that the
> way it works now for most people?

It has very little to do with NTP.  NTP is UTC only.  How you torture
UTC to get your preferred local time is entirely up to you.  You need
not do it at all if you don't want to.

Kludging local timezone conversions into the NTP protocol somehow would
be a nightmare if you could persuade anyone to do it!  24 or more
timezones with more or less arbitrary and constantly changing rules in
every jurisdiction. . . .   Hundreds of such jurisdictions. . . .

The operating systems I'm familiar with (Windows, VMS, Solaris, & Linux)
all make some provision for converting UTC to one or more desired
timezones for display.  Local time, whatever it might be, is *your*
problem.