[ntp:questions] Can or should the NTP protocol eventually serve timezone data?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 19 11:32:40 UTC 2009

Rob wrote:
> Hal Murray <hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net> wrote:
>> In article <slrnh3k09c.1s1j.nomail at xs7.xs4all.nl>,
>>  Rob <nomail at example.com> writes:
>>
>>> So your standpoint is that every system builder who wants to do
>>> such localization should be on their own, providing their own update
>>> mechanism, and there should not be a universal update mechanism for
>>> timezone updates that is neutral to operating system?
>> Why have a special update mechanism for time zone data?  Why
>> not piggy back on updating everything else?  Isn't that the
>> way it works now for most people?
>
> Because time zone data can be useful for many more systems and
> devices than are normally updated by some update service from an
> OS vendor.
>
> An NTP synchronized wall clock may not be loading fixes from
> Windows Update, but it needs uptodate timezone information.

Which the owner supplies!  I have two of these gadgets.  One is
a RadioShack  product, the other is a La Crosse Technology WS-8001U
"Radio Controlled Moon Phase Clock".  It's not "NTP Synchronized".  It's
WWVB synchronized; it receives the WWVB signals in the wee hours of the
morning when signal reception is good.  It does not provide microsecond
accuracy but it's certainly good to within plus/minus one second;
sufficient and even "overkill" for a household clock.

Both of these gadgets allow me to set the time zone; all else is taken
care of by miracles of modern technology!