[ntp:questions] Can or should the NTP protocol eventually serve timezone data?

John Hasler john at dhh.gt.org
Fri Jun 19 23:00:52 UTC 2009

Steve Kostecke writes:
> Then you have to get the OS aggregators / distributors / vendors to agree
> to switch over to utilizing this new TZ data distribution system instead
> of their existing package management systems.

Not instead.  The client would be a packaged program which would update the
tzdata without changing anything else.  In Debian I would try to get it
added to the tzdata package.

> Why are we re-inventing the wheel here?

I don't know of any distribution that provides an easy way arrange for
automatic updates of a single file.  Then there are embedded systems that
have no package-management at all but still may need to know about time
zone changes.

Of course, I am in no position to do anything but talk the idea up here and
maybe write a client, so if no one cares we might as well drop it.
--
John Hasler
john at dhh.gt.org
Dancing Horse Hill