[ntp:questions] Can or should the NTP protocol eventually serve timezone data?

jimp at specsol.spam.sux.com jimp at specsol.spam.sux.com
Sat Jun 20 18:00:01 UTC 2009

John Hasler <john at dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> I wrote:
>> I'm just proposing that the file be made available at a standard location
>> on a well-known set of distributed servers.
>
> Jim Pennino writes:
>> For what kind of system?
>
> Any.
>
>> While the zoneinfo database, also known as the Olson database, is
>> probably the most common, it is hardly the only system used.
>
> The Olson database is the only one it makes sense to distribute.

What about all the systems that don't use Olson?

>> The information in general has been freely available for years.
>
> But only in an ad-hoc fashion.

True, the most generally available format is Olson and not everything
uses Olson.

If you limit the problem to Olson, the problem was solved years ago at:

ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/

Since 1976 there have been 2 changes to the timezone rules in the US.

The European history is about the same.

The odds are any system you are running today will have been in a trash
heap for years before the rules change for your location again.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.