[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 22 03:06:23 UTC 2009

W. eWatson wrote:
> I've read the above.
>
> I'm using Win2000. My use is personal.
>
> When I checked the task mgr, I found ntpd.exe is running.
> Meinberg was installed, and available through Start->Programs. I ran the
> status program from there and it opened a DOS window that was running
> ntpq -p. It showed "No association ID's returned.

I'd guess that someone installed NTPD and neglected to configure it.
I've never rung NTPD on Windows so I'm hazy on the details of
configuring it on Windows.

Most other systems have a file somewhere call ntp.conf which contains
four or more "server" statements; each one pointing to a server to be
used by ntpd.  These statements look like

server server_name.domain iburst
server another_name.domain iburst
server <IP address> iburst
server . . . .

It's customary to specify four, five, or seven servers.  Ten is the
absolute maximum.  Four should be sufficient for most.  "iburst" tells
ntpd to send the first eight queries at intervals of two seconds.  After
the initial "burst" ntpd will query the server at intervals ranging from
64 seconds to 1024 seconds depending on how long it has been running and
the quality of the time it is getting.