[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jun 23 15:23:07 UTC 2009

Rob wrote:
> David J Taylor
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> Whether they have such user-friendly install routines I can't say for
>> sure, but I don't think so.
>
> Of course they do.  At least Linux does.
> The NTP package installation is nothing special, it is just one of the
> many packages that can be installed on the system.  Often even is
> installed
> by default, so the end-user does not need to install it.
> In a modern distribution the configuration for the most common case
> (just setup a couple of server lines) is available in the usual
> control
> panel for system configuration.  You can enter servernames, or
> possibly
> even say "use servers from the pool".
>
> The only difficulty is that you can assume so little by just saying
> "it is a Linux system" because there are so many versions
> (distributions).

Have you tried the Windows/Meinberg installation?  It includes configuring
the "pool" server lines for the user's specified region.  One which is
pre-installed by default probably doesn't have the region optimisation.
Good to hear that Linux has something, though.

I must admit that a simple primer for Windows would be welcome, as I have
seen NTP increasingly adopted by that community.

Cheers,
David