[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Wed Jun 24 12:51:31 UTC 2009

John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
>> You may find Ntp running on one of their mail or DNS servers, though.
>
> David writes:
>> Yes, my ISP has that, as well as "official" NTP servers, but at one
>> stage they were not well maintained.
>
> With the pool, there is really no reason to use an ISP's NTP servers
> anyway.  My Debian Chrony package uses them by default, as does the
> Debian Ntp package.
>
> Some years back I had an ISP that ran a server that purported to be
> stratum two but was (inconsistently) five minutes slow.  I don't know
> how they did that.

My ISP's servers seemed to be synched from a continent away (based in
Europe, using US servers), and had an asymmetrical path!  In principle,
though, it /might/ help to choose servers which are closer in connectivity
than others - that's NTP connectivity of course.  In practice, I tend to
use two UK pool servers, and two University servers (Edinburgh and
Manchester( which I have found to be reliable.  These I have as a backup
with minpoll=1024s.  As I have two stratum-1 servers here as well, I would
have to accept that four other servers could be said to be too many.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/daily_ntp.html#Configuration

Cheers,
David