[ntp:questions] Troubleshooting who's at fault

Ronaldo Mexico ronaldo.hawk.mexico at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 22:57:35 UTC 2009

> If the PTS is connected to a reference clock, why does it report
> itself as a stratum 2 with a refid of either 73.78.73.84 or LOCAL(0),
> as shown in the original posting:

The PTS -is- it's reference.  It's time is based on GPS-fed data, then
internally disciplined using a rubidium oscillator.  Technically, it's
the master time server, which is probably why it's showing a refid of
LOCAL(0) and/or 73.78.73.84

True, our NTP hierarchy is not supposed to be individual time islands
but instead a synchronized network, with all time-critical units
synchronizing with the PTS.  If we ever hit the worst-case scenario
and don't have NTP from the PTS, all of the units would be drifting
apart anyways, since only the RHEL server has a listing of possible
NTP server candidates to fallover to.