[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Fri Jun 26 13:23:41 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> The last time I looked closely at Windows timekeeping, clock "ticks"
> were every 17 milliseconds or something like that.  My desktop system
> is Windows XP and seems to be within a second or so.  I have no
> requirement for better time than that.
>
> My Solaris systems, OTOH, run NTPD and keep time to within a +/- 10
> milliseconds over the network.  One has a GPS reference clock and its
> time seems to be within 100 usec or so.  It MAY be far better than
> that but I lack the means to determine how much better.

Thanks for clarifying that, Richard.  I was concerned that the OP might
have thought that +/-10ms was easily achievable with Windows over the
Internet.  BTW: Windows Vista and Windows 7 now have clocks running at a
1KHz rate, with a quantisation of less than 1 ms.

My /best/ Windows/GPS PC keeps within about 200us, but it's rather
temperature dependent.  I use MRTG to monitor it:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/feenix_ntp_2.html

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTPandMRTG.html

Cheers,
David