[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Sun Jun 28 08:06:42 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
[]
> With Linux you should get better than 1ms. With Windows from what I
> have read 10ms is achievable depending on your network loads, etc.

I would be interested to know what configuration allows Windows to achieve
+/- 10ms - it's something I've never seen here on cable modem connected
systems, with just Internet sources, using the default polling intervals
which allow as long as 1024s between polls.  Do you happen to have a
reference?

On the other hand, using a LAN connection, and a 64s maximum polling
interval, I regularly see +/- 1.5ms with Windows 2000, XP, Vista (*) and
Windows 7.

(*) not when I run a rather ill-behaved hardware and software combination,
though.

Cheers,
David