[ntp:questions] NTP - best practice if there is a local stratum 2 server

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Sun Jun 28 18:18:19 UTC 2009

Dave wrote:
> But setting the time from the local server is also going to be cause a
> problem if that server fails for some reason.

What I do here (in my home network) is make the NFS server also an NTP server, and make sure that the NFS clients prefer the NFS/NTP server over any others. (In fact: I configure those NFS clients to have only one NTP server, and that's the NFS server).

This way, as long as the NFS server is up, chances are that its NTP server will also be up.

Cheers, Jan