[ntp:questions] Troubleshooting who's at fault

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Tue Jun 30 12:57:04 UTC 2009

David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > Yes, and fudge the stratum to 1, not 2.
>
> You mean zero, not 1,

You're right, 0, so that the server is seen as stratum 1 by the client.

> which might be the problem, i.e. either fudge
> doesn't allow that, or the people who bolted NTP onto the time server
> thought it didn't

The ntpd html documentation for the local clock explicitly states that
fudge stratum 0 should be used in the case of external discipline.
See  http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/drivers/driver1.html  and earlier versions,
though I see it has been removed from the current ntp-dev doc, which
however still lists 0 as a valid fudge value.

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>