[ntp:questions] Mixed maxpoll values for mixed LAN/Internet servers - sensible?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 07:32:20 UTC 2009

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> David> Thanks for that, Dave.  It's a pity that a change available in
> 2003 David> hadn't made it into my 2005 download!
>
> This is why I started the NTP Forum, to develop the resources needed
> to get releases out sooner and significantly improve the level of
> support for NTP.
>
> Become a member of the NTP Forum.

I applied and heard nothing.

> Get companies you work with/for to become members.

I applied and heard nothing.  As a single-man company, I cannot spare
funds, I'm afraid.

> Volunteer to write code for the project.

I don't do "C".  I have already wriiten an NTP monitoring program, and
shown how MRTG can be used to monitor NTP on a routine basis.  I spent
some time trying to get NTP to compile on my system, using both the
Microsoft tools and some free compilers, but I could never get it to
sompile and link.

> Volunteer to improve the documentation on the support website.

I submitted a number of bug reports.

> There are probably other ways, too.  Be imaginative.  Be helpful.

Harlan,

It may not be intended this way, but you are hitting on the wrong person
here.  I have tried to do a lot to get NTP accepted within the Windows
community and worked with those who develop the software.

David