[ntp:questions] PPSAPI supported on Windows

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 10:18:14 UTC 2009

On Mar 2, 9:45 am, Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"> wrote:
> Dave Hart wrote:
> > If you wish to try serialpps.sys and are on a 32-bit system, download
> > that .zip, extract all files, and run the enclosed install.bat.  If
> > you're on a 64-bit system you could be the first to build a
> > serialpps.sys for your processor architecture, after a hefty WDK
> > download, DVD burn, and install.  Contact me if you have a 64-bit
> > Windows system and are interested.
>
> I can do that: Vista-64, available NMEA and Oncore refclocks.

Excellent.  You have to register (using a passport / live ID) at
connect.microsoft.com to download the DDK (now called WDK).  Details
at:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/wdk/wdkpkg.mspx

Once you have the WDK installed, in the start menu find WDK and click
on an appropriate build environment like Windows XP.  You should get a
new shell window with the right environment variables set for the DDK
build environment (which incidentally is just the build environment
used by MS to build Windows).  Assuming you have downloaded
http://davehart.net/ntp/refclock/serialpps-20090301.zip and extracted
its contents to \serialpps\ folder, then in the build environment
window:

cd \winddk\6001.18002\src\kernel
xcopy /ihkfed serial serialpps
patch -p__ \serialpps\serialpps-20090301.patch
build

The actual build will take mere seconds and be anticlimactic the whole
download burn install ordeal.  If you don't have a patch utility
compatible with my patch I can get you the three modified files.

Thanks for speaking up.

Cheers,
Dave Hart